Dr. Tonya Howard Calhoun, a Service Leader Certificate holder, has a rich background in the nonprofit sector and an overwhelmingly deep passion for volunteerism and community service. Born in Chicago, yet raised in Louisiana, she has educational background at Caddo Parish Magnet High School (LA), Spelman College (GA) , Troy University (AL), The Thomas M. Cooley Law School (MI), and Walden University (MN). Dr. Calhoun has spent the last 15+ years in the field of volunteer management within the nonprofit sector.
Dr. Calhoun’s entrée into the nonprofit world came quite naturally as a committed and dedicated volunteer for the majority of her life. She transitioned into a more serious volunteer management commitment through her former employment where she was responsible for overseeing the volunteer assimilation process for the volunteer program. It was there, Dr. Calhoun, utilized her skills by creating various resources (i.e. – needs assessment tools, volunteer handbook, recruitment & retention plans, training & development curriculum, program evaluation tools, continuous improvement plans, etc.). Since then, she has dedicated herself to fully understanding the nonprofit sector by earning a PhD that focuses on nonprofit management & leadership. Dr. Calhoun provides consultation in volunteer management to nonprofit organizations nationwide. She has helped small nonprofit organizations, churches, and small foundations with the 501c3 application process. Volunteer management is truest of passions for Dr. Calhoun, and her mission through Altruistically Yours, is to create dynamic volunteer programs for small to mid-sized nonprofit organizations, while maintaining a solid support system for engaging individuals in service to an organization’s overall mission.
In addition to her professional work in the field of volunteer engagement, Dr. Calhoun volunteers her own time in a variety of ways:
- Current Board President of the Council of Volunteer Administrators for metro-Atlanta (COVA).
- Current Board Vice-President of the Board of Directors for Vertical Church.
- Current Board Treasurer of the Nonprofit Trinity Awards, Inc.
- Has been a guest lecturer at Oglethorpe University, presenting on Volunteer Management.
- Has been a guest lecturer at Coppin State University, presenting on Advanced Volunteer Management.
- Has presented at the Whitney M. Young Leadership Conference on Engaging & Retaining Volunteers.
- Has presented at the Nonprofit Leadership Alliance Conference on Managing a Volunteer Program with Current Trends Leading the Way.
- Has presented for Junior League of Atlanta General Body Training on Generating Volunteers.
- Has presented for Walden University on Maximizing Career Success Through Strategic Volunteering.
Dr. Calhoun loves life and always wants to live it to the fullest! She admits that she works hard, but plays even harder! In her spare time she enjoys half-marathons, Tough Mudders, cooking, traveling, spending quality time with family and friends, and has even considered picking her violin back up as a hobby. She believes that lots of laughter keeps you young and lots of [healthy] eating keeps you happy! Dr. Calhoun believes that life is ultimately what you make it after you’ve surrendered your all to God.
Dr. Tonya Howard Calhoun currently resides in Marietta, Ga. with her husband, Alzay.